Skip to main content

OBAMA: Would he win a 3rd term?

Earlier this week, President Barack Obama left some scratching their heads over remarks he made regarding running for a third term.

During a speech he gave in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, President Obama certainly sounded like he wanted to spend another four years in office. Though the 22nd Amendment to the United States Constitution expressly limits the elected president to two terms in office, Obama stated that if he were given the opportunity to run, he think he'd win.

I beg to differ.

There's a term in marketing called "advertising wearout," whereby the more a viewer is exposed to an ad, the less of an influence it exerts on him or her. There's a reason why marketers have to refresh their ad campaigns sporadically. People get tired of seeing the same spokespeople and hearing the same pitches over and over again.

I think the same applies to Obama, much like it does for previous presidents who served two terms. The American people are ready for a fresh face -- they're yearning to listen to a different tune after nearly eight years of the same rhetoric.

Obama sounds awfully confident in his ability to win a third consecutive election, but let's face it. Many Americans are still unhappy with the situation in which the country still finds itself. People are still out of work. Wages are still stagnant. There's a lot of work that still needs doing, and people are just itching for him to pass the presidential mantle to someone else -- anyone else.

Thus, many people are convinced that a new and different presence in the Oval Office might offer the promise for a better tomorrow.

If Obama were allowed to run a third time, do you think he'd win? Why or why not?

Please share your thoughts on the blog or on Google +.

Here are a few other How to Understand People posts you won't want to miss out on:

Why do so many people cheat?

Here's how men and women view sex differently...


Comments

Andy said…
Well despite the Monica fiasco, I think Slick Willy would have crushed W if he had been able to run again. Peace and prosperity will motivate people to look past an indiscretion or two...
I agree, Andy. Thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...