Skip to main content

Never blame yourself for falling for someone's lies

He promised you he'd always remain loyal to you, but you later discovered he had a girlfriend on the side.

She pledged that she'd always be there for you, in good times and bad ones, but when you recently lost your job, she couldn't be bothered to visit or console you.

We've all been in situations where people we trusted wholeheartedly wound up letting us down in a big way.

Once you realize the individual isn't as great as you thought, you may experience a range of emotions -- from disbelief to anger to utter sadness.

Worst of all, you may be tempted into blaming yourself for what happened.

You may ask yourself a litany of questions such as:
  • "How could I be so naive?"
  • "Why didn't I see this coming?"
  • "Was it something I did or said?"
  • "How could I have wasted my time and energy in such a heartless person?"
Before you know it, you've beaten yourself silly ruminating about the whys and what ifs.

Do yourself a favor: Stop, take a deep breath, and remind yourself of one important thing: It's all in the past, and there's nothing you can do to change it.

You're no fool for buying into the person's lies. You are just guilty of having a good heart and trying in earnest to see the very best in people.

After this experience, you will emerge wiser in the knowledge that perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to give people the benefit of the doubt. 

Maybe you'll sharpen your ability to discern early warning signs of someone's dishonesty and disloyalty, like only surfacing when they need something, or seeming very mysterious about calls and texts they receive from certain people. 

Blaming yourself does nothing but lead you down a slippery slope in which anger and sadness potentially give way to anxiety and depression. 

It's their loss. They don't know it yet, but someday, someone will do the same to them. Then they'll realize how it feels to be let down like they did to you. 

They hurt your feelings, and the last thing they deserve is to be able to maintain a tight grip on your mental and emotional happiness. 

Show compassion toward yourself. Going forward, people will have to earn your trust. And once you catch someone in a lie, you're no longer going to assume that it's a one-off thing.

While you shouldn't punish others for what people in the past have done for you, there's no harm in being vigilant and safeguarding your feelings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...