Skip to main content

Fun Fact: Did you know this?

What's something we can expect to see when we go see a movie at the theater? 

Beside popcorn, children, and "coming soon" movie banners, we have to sit through a couple of previews for movies slated to be released in the coming months, otherwise known as trailers.

I've always wondered why they're called "trailers" if they precede the show for which we've paid. 

As it turns out, the term “trailer” comes from their original placement within the movie screening -- “trailing” at the end of the film. When marketers realized a large portion of the audience left immediately after the feature ended, they moved them to run before the movie began. 

A smart move, to say the least. I've observed that at the conclusion of nearly every movie I watch at the theater -- particularly the longer ones -- there are always a few people running for the exits. 

Movies absorb one's attention and can very easily wear you out, especially if you see them after work and/or into the early morning hours. (Is it any surprise so many moviegoers fall asleep while watching the flicks?) Once the movie is over, most people couldn't care about previews for upcoming movies; they're just thinking about driving home and relaxing or going to bed.

I've noticed a similar pattern on the radio. For example, you're bound to hear the name of the company sponsoring a traffic report before any traffic is discussed it all. If the plug were left to follow the traffic advisory, most listeners would likely tune out by then.

On another interesting note, trailers have been around almost as long as movies themselves. The first trailer ran in 1913, though it didn’t promote another movie; it was for the Broadway musical The Pleasure Seekers. 

Did you know this factoid about trailers? How closely do you pay attention to them when you're at the theater?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...