Skip to main content

10 Holiday Fun Facts

Tis the season to be jolly!

Here are a few fun facts regarding the holiday season in the U.S. that you may not know:

1. Nine in 10 Americans say they celebrate Christmas while 32% view it as more of a cultural holiday than a religious one.

2. USPS will deliver 16 billion holiday letters, packages, and cards.

3. Over 100 million Americans will travel for the holidays this year.

4. 86% of Americans say they buy holiday gifts for family or friends.

5. Americans aim to spend an average of $935.58 each during the holiday shopping season this year.

6. Total holiday sales are expected to be over $655 billion.

7. 85% of Americans say they will probably give someone candy as a gift.

8. Americans eat about 3,000 calories worth of food during a typical holiday dinner.

9. 22 million turkeys are eaten for Christmas.

10. Americans bought nearly 26 million real Christmas trees last year and more than 13 billion fake ones.

The facts I found most surprising were #7 and #8 above. I honestly didn't think candy was that popular a holiday gift, but I suppose it isn't all that astounding when you factor in co-workers. From what I've seen, chocolate is probably the most widely exchanged gift in the workplace.

As for #8, I knew Americans don't shy away from a hearty holiday meal, but 3,000 calories? It's no wonder applications for gym memberships surge in the New Year!  I plan to go on a diet as of January 2 in order to shed a couple of pounds I've gained over the last few months.

I also wanted to add that gift cards have to be one of the best ideas ever dreamed up. When you don't know what to buy someone, and you just don't feel like giving them cash, a gift card makes a no-hassle choice -- and there's no wrapping involved!

From my family to yours, I'd like to wish everyone happy holidays and a blessed New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...