Skip to main content

Something teachers are doing to students

There's a growing trend in schools across the country that should bring a sigh of relief to many students and their parents: Teachers are assigning less homework, if at all.

This comes after scores of parents have complained that their kids are getting far too many homework assignments to complete on a daily basis, preventing them from spending valuable time together.

"Kids need time to be kids," insist many of the worried parents. What they mean is that the children need time to play video games and frolic as they please.

I remember getting loads of homework as far back as elementary school. The issue is that kids are required to take so many classes in different subjects -- from reading and language arts to math and social studies -- that the work adds up. They might have a different teacher for every subject, none of whom are keeping tabs on the volume of homework assigned to each student.

My take is that teachers ought to focus on quality and not quantity. Instead of assigning different homework and reading assignments every day, they should assign one per week that encompasses and tests the kids' comprehension on the different lessons covered in that span.

I would know -- my wife's a teacher and she often assigns so much homework that she's forced to grade heaps of assignments even during holiday breaks.

Thus, cutting back on the number of assignments would be beneficial for teachers as well, freeing up time for them to spend with their own kids.

While I don't feel schools should do away with homework completely, I think lightening childrens' workload at home is in order. It's all about working smarter and not necessarily harder.

What's your opinion? Do you think teachers should assign less homework?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...