Skip to main content

Signs that you're an overthinker

As an overthinker, I know firsthand what a double-edged sword it can be.

At times, it can feel like a blessing, while at others it can seem like a curse.

You're always proactive about everything so as to prevent any mishaps: setting three alarms in the morning so you don't oversleep, making sure your spouse charged his or her phone overnight so that you don't assume the worst if you don't hear from them, checking several times that you locked the front door before heading to work, overpreparing for meetings and presentations, and so on.

In other words, an overthinker's modus operandi is to minimize risk and avoid problems, which definitely keeps them out of trouble.

The problem is that overthinking can lead one to become very anxious, almost to the point of having a nervous breakdown.

There have been times where my wife has left her phone at home or on silent. When I dial her number and don't get a response, I continue to call incessantly until she picks up or calls me herself. It's not like her not to answer, so when her behavior deviates from the norm in this way, I worry that something bad may have happened.

Overthinkers tend to be indecisive, spending inordinate amounts of time weighing their options -- from which job to take to which person to date -- so they can make the most optimal decisions.

They also find it very hard to live in the moment, often ruminating on something that happened in the past or worrying over events that will take place in the future. I was always a nervous wreck in the weeks leafing up to the first day of school: Will I like my teacher? Will I like my classmates? Will the work be too hard? Will I fail?

Overthinkers also have very high expectations of themselves, as they do other people. We're hard on ourselves when something bad happens that we feel we could have done more to avoid, like getting a nail in a tire or not receiving a job offer.

We firmly believe -- almost to a fault -- that we can always will ourselves toward positive outcomes, and we feel very disappointed in ourselves when things don't pan out as we'd planned.

We also have a hard time accepting others' mistakes that adversely affect us in some way. Even if it's something that someone else might not find to be a big deal -- like spilling juice on your pants or falling asleep during the final minute of the Super Bowl -- we have a difficult time letting things go.

We always try to put our best foot forward and avoid missteps that might disappoint others, so we expect other people to act similarly. When our expectations aren't met, though, we put those who let us down in the doghouse for days, if not weeks. Indeed, letting things go is certainly not in our vocabulary, and we take our decisions -- like those of others -- very seriously.

As you can see, overthinkers can be compulsive and risk-averse, doing everything in their power to avoid making mistakes. When things aren't going smoothly, we can quickly implode unless we're careful.

It can be challenging for us to be positive when we're blaming ourselves or others for any unfavorable circumstances that may arise -- ones we do everything to prevent in the first place.

While some people may view overthinkers as highly responsible and diligent, others may find us to be perpetual worry warts. Truthfully, we're a combination of both.

Overthinkers have to accept the fact that things will not always go as planned. We can't prevent every hitch, every setback, every snag, every wrinkle. Part of growing as an individual is facing problems head-on and working toward resolving them. If we never confront challenges, we can never learn from experience.

Still, I think it's a good thing that overthinkers try their best not to get into dilemmas unnecessarily. At the very least, we can rest assured we'll never be blamed for not thinking before we act, which is something far too many people fall victim to.

Are you an overthinker, or do you know anyone who is?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...