Skip to main content

Something ironic about loneliness

Society leads us to believe that thrusting oneself into social settings is the antidote to loneliness.

Yet, many people would agree that one can feel lonelier around a big group of people than when the person is by themselves.

For starters, just because a person is alone doesn't mean they're lonely.

There are actually people out there, myself included, who enjoy and thrive on time spent alone -- to relax, contemplate, clear their mind.

Finding yourself amidst large groups of people whom you don't know can be more isolating than being by your lonesome. Sure, you can always try to strike up a conversation with someone, but it can come off as awkward and doesn't always lead to the desired result.

This is especially true when everyone around you already is engaged in conversation with someone else.

I feel much more at ease interacting with people when small groups of 2 to 3 people are involved. You don't have people talking and shouting over another. You don't have as many people vying for attention, making it easier for timid folks to get a word in edgewise.

Smaller groups lend themselves to deeper, more substantive conversations.

It doesn't mean one can't feel lonely if they're in or around a small group, but the chances are greatly minimized.

When I'm invited to a party, wedding, or other social function where hordes of people are present, I always try to strike a conversation with someone I can draw commonalities with.

For example, maybe someone is wearing a t-shirt embossed with my high school logo or a cap representing my favorite baseball team. If nothing strikes me, I gravitate toward people who seem to be around the same age as me.

If all else fails, I pull out my trusty smartphone and distract myself with the day's news.

Thus, when people say that being around people is the cure for loneliness, they're utterly wrong-headed to say the least. If anything, it can amplify the feeling considerably.

And, remember, being alone doesn't necessarily translate into being lonely. One can be alone and feel content, as I and many other introverts do. Whereas being alone is a choice, feeling lonely isn't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...