Skip to main content

9/11: 15 Years Later

Today we remember the thousands of innocent lives lost on September 11, 2001, when a group of cowards hijacked four passenger airliners and perpetrated the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history. The four coordinated terrorist attacks killed 2,996 people and injured over 6,000 others, with civilians, firefighters, and law enforcement officers among them.

A few days ago, I came across a YouTube video that made me sick to my stomach. It contained audio of separate calls made to 911 by two people who died in the 9/11 attacks -- Kevin Cosgrove and Melissa Doi. You can sense the hopelessness in their voice as both distressed individuals exhort 911 dispatchers on the line to rescue them. Cosgrove states that he's "too young to die," and Doi seems resigned to her fate, somberly declaring, "I'm going to die." I can't imagine what they were feeling as the grim reality that they were in the final moments of their lives began to set in.

It's hard to believe that today marks the 15th anniversary of these horrific acts -- a day that would change America forever.

After watching that video, I felt two things: (1) A rush of patriotism at seeing how, 15 years later, The United States has emerged stronger and more resilient than ever amid global terrorism (2) Grateful for the chance to live another day and for all my blessings.

Piggybacking on a theme in several of my recent posts, we never know when our time will be up. That's why we should aim to live our lives to the max. That means never taking anything for granted, never holding back on achieving our goals, and never missing a chance to tell loved ones how much they mean to us.

Those who perished on September 11th will never be forgotten, including the men and women in uniform -- true heroes -- who gave their lives in the line of duty.

I am proud to be American, especially on this day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...