Skip to main content

Why you should live in your head more

Living in your head is generally frowned upon in this extrovert-loving society.

Introspection simply isn't prized in a world where so many people are jockeying to have their voices heard.

In fact, pensiveness is often mistaken for snobbishness or social anxiety. And those who aren't as loud and assertive don't earn as much respect and perks as their more boisterous peers.

You'll notice that most job listings emphasize teamwork and list excellent oral communication skills as one of the requirements. You'd be hard-pressed to find an ad specifically looking for a deep thinker.

Unfortunately, quiet introverts continue to be put into the same bucket as serial killers and others who perpetrate horrible crimes.

What many fail to understand is this: Many people -- myself included -- find living in their heads a refreshing change from the daily grind.

Introspective types would agree that reading books -- whether of the fiction or non-fiction variety -- transports them mentally to another world that can feel much more engaging than the "real" one.

I, for one, love immersing myself in history books that take me back in time to the 18th and 19th centuries.

I think being deep in thought opens us up to new worlds, new possibilities, new ideas. While it's impossible to live in our heads all the time, it's a mistake to merely take everything we see and confront in the world at face value.

It's only by learning, questioning, and delving into things that we truly enrich ourselves.

We can be anything we want to be in our minds -- the president, a famous rock star -- and live in any world, at any time, of our choosing, whether 18th century colonial America or in Mars in 3050.

While some people may say this smacks of escapism through fantasy, my answer to them would be: what's wrong with that?

In a world dominated by headlines of mass shootings, political bickering, and other negative events, there's no harm in escaping to a world once in a while where things appear more positive and peaceful.

In fact, many people report that doing so helps put them in a better mood and clear their thoughts. Thus, when they return to reality, they're better equipped to deal with the issues they wished to take a mental break from in the first place.

As long as we don't resort to living in our heads as a way of shirking our everyday tasks and problems, we should all take the time to do it.

I like to think of it as taking a mini mental vacation. And I encourage you to go on one whenever you have the chance.

How often do you live in your head? Do you enjoy being deep in thought?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...