Skip to main content

This company is changing the world as we know it

I hadn't even heard of Uber until just a few months ago, when my friend told me he had signed up as a driver to supplement his income.

My wife and I finally used it during our vacation in Boston earlier this month. While we saw the vast majority of the sites and attractions on foot -- mind you, Boston is a very walkable city -- we opted to use the service to travel further distances, e.g., from Boston to Cambridge and back.

Let's just say I came away feeling as if Uber is the best thing since sliced bread.

In case you've never used it, all you have to do is use the Uber app on your phone to indicate where you are and where you want to go. You'll be assigned to the driver nearest you, who will likely arrive in less than 5 minutes. The fare is charged to the credit card you have on file, and you can later rate the driver as well as your overall experience.

Luckily, all our drivers were prompt and friendly, earning them high marks from us.

I'm amazed at how convenient this service really is. Not only do you get to your destination fairly quickly, but you're able to save on gas (despite some of that being offset by the fare). What's more, it's the ideal alternative for someone who isn't in the mood or right frame of mind to drive, especially after having one too many drinks.

Prices are reasonable (usually cheaper than getting a taxi), and you aren't required to tip. What's more, you can rest assured you won't get into the wrong person's car: you'll know the driver's name -- not to mention the make and model of the person's car along with the respective tag number -- in seconds.

I can only imagine the huge hit that taxis across the country have taken because of companies like Uber and Lyft, the latter being Uber's chief competitor with a very similar business model.

Earlier this week, I read that Uber is testing new self-driving cars in Pittsburgh. It's possible those cars will ultimately eliminate the need for human drivers.

That said, whenever I have no interest in driving somewhere -- especially a place that's far out and offers little to nothing in the way of parking, I will gladly pay Uber to do it for me.

Have you ever used Uber? If yes, what was your experience like?  If no, would you open to trying it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...