Skip to main content

Your career will SUFFER if you do this...

Many of my coworkers have been working at my company -- and in the same department, no less -- for 20 or more years!  It's doubtless a rarity in this day and age of frequent job hopping. 

Most of them lament staying there so long. Promotions have been hard to come by, not to mention they feel utterly stagnant in their jobs. Some tell me they can't remember the last time they actually learned something new. It certainly doesn't help that our department is run by two overbearing women -- my boss is one of them -- who are completely stuck in their ways. 

Now in their 50s and 60s, they concede that it's too late to think about moving. They're more focused on retirement now than anything else. Competing for jobs with people as old as their kids, they say, is a losing proposition. 

When asked why they stayed there so long, they admit that they became complacent over the years. I can attest to the fact that the company provides employees with a handsome salary and benefits package. As for why they didn't try angling for opportunities in other departments, they say they became a close-knit group and didn't want to relinquish the relationships they forged with one another. 

I've worked there (in the same department) for almost five years now, and if there's something I'm absolutely sure about, it's that I don't want to end up like these coworkers. I'm already feeling stultified in my job -- there just isn't much else to learn, and I can literally do my work blindfolded. As with most corporations, the bosses take ownership of the big projects and leave their subordinates to do menial work. My job offers no flexibility to be creative, and I'm dragged down by endless red tape. Alas, my skills aren't being utilized to their full potential. 

My boss stands to retire in the next two years, but I don't think I'm willing to wait that long. I'm already keeping an eye out for opportunities within my company and elsewhere.

It is important that we never stop pursuing opportunities for career growth and advancement. It's easy to get comfortable in a job, especially if it pays well and we get along with our coworkers. But there's a lot to be said for feeling intellectually stimulated and challenged on the job. My current position has me looking at my watch far too often; I take it as a telltale sign that it's time to take the next step in my career.

If asking your boss for bigger projects or a promotion doesn't work, and if there are no other openings available in your company, it might be time to bid your present employer adieu. 

Life's too short to remain in a job you're unhappy with, whether it's the pay, workplace culture, or the work itself that just isn't cutting it. Your career will suffer if you stay in a dead end job. Go for what your heart truly desires. Follow your passions. Don't feel as though you have to be loyal to any one employer, either. They don't twitch when they have to lay people off, so why should you have any reservations about jumping ship?

Don't miss out on any earlier posts!  Click here to check them out now: How to Understand People

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...