Skip to main content

David Bowie Dead at 69

David Bowie, a pop music icon and master of makeovers, lost his valiant 18 month battle with cancer on Sunday. He was 69. Neither his publicist nor a statement posted on his social media accounts provided details on what type of cancer the singer had.

Bowie's death has been at the center of various Internet hoaxes over the last few years. So the news came as a shock to fans and industry insiders when it was confirmed.

"Genius is an overused word but I think musically, creatively, artistically, David Bowie was a genius," said British Prime Minister David Cameron. "He was a master of reinvention, and one of the things that's so incredible is almost all his reinventions were incredible successes and worked brilliantly. And so we mourn the loss of a great talent."

The flamboyant artist's songs, from "Changes" and "Fame" to "Heroes" and "Modern Love," were huge hits, played constantly on the radio and inspiring generations of musicians.

Bowie had just released his latest album, "Blackstar," on Friday, his 69th birthday. It catapulted to No. 1 on the iTunes chart in the UK and No. 2 in the United States, a testament to his mass appeal even after so many years in the music business.

There was hardly a genre he didn't dabble in, from pop rock to glam rock to electronic rock. Bowie was without a doubt an innovator -- a musical genius -- that has left an indelible mark in the hearts and minds of his fans.

He is survived by his second wife, Iman Mohamed Abdulmajid, and children Duncan Jones, the renowned sci-fi director, and Alexandria Zahra Jones.

Personally, I never really listened to David Bowie's music, but I can appreciate the profound impact he had on the music business. There's no question the man was immensely talented and will forever be regarded as one of the best musicians of our time.

Were you a Bowie fan?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...