Skip to main content

DON'T focus on the negative!

When something bad happens -- you break up with your boyfriend, have an argument with your boss, realize your identity has been compromised -- it can be easy to become consumed with negative thoughts.

But studies show that we're going the wrong way about it. Negativity leads to a bevy of unfavorable health outcomes, from high blood pressure and anxiety to loss of sleep and appetite.

People underestimate the sheer power that our minds can have over us. As soon as we become fixed on an unpleasant thought, our day can quickly unravel. We become grumpy and irritable, taking out our bad mood on unsuspecting people around us.

Getting upset is a natural human instinct, but it's when one allows that anger to fester for a prolonged period of time that feelings of depression and anxiety can set in. Being angry and negative won't make the situation get any better.

Focus instead on those things that make you feel good -- whether it be your kids, pets, or stamp collection. Redirecting your thoughts in this way -- even if only for a brief moment -- will help you feel better.

In the grand scheme of life, things that upset us today will eventually be long forgotten. That's precisely why it isn't worth it to harp on the negative.

Whatever the issue you're dealing with us, try your best to work toward a resolution. Start dating other people. Talk to your boss about the things that are making you unhappy, or start looking for a new job. Contact the credit bureaus and sign up for a service like LifeLock to safeguard your identity.

There's no going back: you have a problem, and now you have to focus on resolving it. Thinking positive -- believing that you'll get out of your jam sooner or later --  will position you to get your life back on track. As Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Believe you can and you're halfway there."

Comments

Priscilla King said…
I'd call it focus on the facts. If I keep the focus on my little emotional feelings, I'm too busy analyzing how I feel to *feel* happy. If I focus on the facts, then I'm likely to feel happy about having fixed the facts.

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...