Skip to main content

Travel in person... or with your mind?

What's your preferred way of traveling?

Would you rather travel to places in person, or in your head?

For certain people, the latter seems more up their alley. The reasons for this are varied. It may be that they're:

  • Afraid of airplanes
  • Hesistant to deal with the stress that comes from travel
  • Strapped for cash
  • Uncomfortable with the thought of being away from home for days in an unfamiliar place
  • Perfectly content traveling vicariously -- through videos, books, documentaries, and other sources
I think I can be a little of both. It all depends on the mood I'm in.

Sometimes I would rather spend the weekend at home learning about a city -- say, Paris or Honolulu --- via travel books or videos than by actually traveling there. 

Every once in a while, though, I do get the itch to venture beyond the comfy confines of my condo and explore museums, mountains, and other attractions that glossy magazine photos don't do justice to.

Some people might argue that you can't fully experience a city or renowned attraction unless you're there in person.

That may be the case, but it also depends on how rich of a mind you have. For example, let's say I'm reading a book or watching a documentary on London. If vivid photos and/or video is accompanied by descriptive, thorough text and/or narration, I might actually feel like I'm in London. The only thing missing is the ability to touch things and take pictures of my own, as well as being able to say, "I was in London."

I understand that for people who want to scratch another destination off their bucket list, there's no room for compromise here. 

While there are certainly places I intend on experiencing firsthand, there are others I don't care as much to visit in person, but still wish to learn about. That's when those travel books and videos come in handy.

What's your take on this?  Would you rather travel to places in person, with your mind, or both--depending on your mood?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...