Skip to main content

Working for money vs. passion

Some people are driven solely by the prospect of making tons of money, while others care more about doing something that leaves them feeling like they've made a difference in the world, even if it pays poorly. We tend to picture entrepreneurs in the former group and people who work for charitable organizations in the latter.

Finding jobs that are both fulfilling and offer great salaries are out there, but aren't always easy to find. Take education, for instance. I think we would all agree that teachers are mostly passionate about their jobs, but deserve to be paid far better.

I knew from an early age that writing was my calling and I was intent on working in a field or job that, in some capacity, allowed me to write and handle verbage -- whether as a writer, editor, or proofreader. Is it the best-paying career in the world? Far from it. Do I picture myself doing anything else? Nope.

We need to strike a balance between finding something we enjoy doing and work that will allow us to pay our bills. Every job is going to consist of rough days where we wish we could be doing something else. But as long as you keep your eyes on the prize -- whether it's money or making an impact in your community -- you can always remind yourself why you're doing it.

Do you work for money, passion, or both?

For earlier entries, click here: How to Understand People

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...