Skip to main content

Romance in the workplace -- is it dangerous?

Since graduating from college, I've worked for 3 companies, and I have seen at least one workplace relationship bloom at each one.

It seems most companies don't explicitly forbid workplace relationships, but people involved in them aim to keep the relationships under wraps nonetheless.

The danger in having a romantic relationship with a coworker is obvious: what happens if the relationship goes sour? Would it create a more hostile work environment for those in the relationship as well as everyone around them?

The bottom line is that you don't want to do anything to jeopardize your job. If both people are certain they can leave their relationship at home and not let their relationship woes (if any) seem into their work lives, then I don't see a problem with carrying on.

This, of course, is assuming both people work in the same department. If you work for Sales and he works for Human Resources, you likely won't interact with one another, posing even fewer potential headaches.

While workplace romance isn't very common, I do see people flirt with each other quite a lot. I don't see any problem with it as long as people remain professional and respectful of one another. You don't want to find yourself embroiled in a sexual harassment lawsuit -- that's for sure!

What's your take on romance in the workplace? Do you feel it's risky or dangerous?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...