Skip to main content

Relationship with Money: Live below your means

As tempting as it may be for us as consumers to splurge on items we have little need for, we must do our best to exercise self-control.

How many times have you spent well over $100 on a steak dinner at a fancy restaurant like Morton's and later wished you had just gone to Outback?

How many times have you purchased an expensive shirt solely on the basis of the brand and later wished you had gotten something more affordable at Old Navy?

I'm guilty of this myself. Now, I'm not saying we should never treat ourselves to something a little more expensive. It's when you find yourself doing this often -- and dipping more and more into your savings -- that it becomes a problem.

You should always make sure that your reserve is ample enough to cover bills and leave you with money for a rainy day. If savings begin to run low, necessitating the need to reach for your credit card, it should prompt you to put the brakes and reevaluate your spending habits.

Let's not forget that it was overindulging and living beyond our means that brought on the Great Recession of 2008.

Aim to be a savvy consumer and take advantage of coupons, sales, discounts, and other ways to keep your wallet fuller. Alternate trips to the restaurant with eating at home -- another effective way to bring down costs. If you can ride to the park in your bike rather than driving your car, you'll save on gas.

As you can see, we can all take small steps that will save us a lot of money in the long run.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...