Skip to main content

Relationship Tip: Don't feel guilty when a friendship changes

We all know that our friendships have evolved over time. Those same individuals we connected with so closely at one point may seem completely different now, whether because of distance, work, kids, or other changing life circumstances.

It's very easy to cast blame on ourselves for this: "Why didn't I visit him more?" "Was I a good enough friend?" "Did I take our friendship for granted?"

But we must accept the fact that it's normal for friendships to change through the normal course of time.

If you find yourself pointing the finger only at yourself, it's likely you're reflecting only upon the great moments in your friendship.

But what about your friend? Was she flawless? Did she never do anything to upset YOU?

We assess a friendship with rose-colored glasses. The fact is our friends are probably as much to blame -- if not more -- for a friendship losing its luster.

For example, my closest friend moved 6 hours away last year and I've missed him ever since. But it isn't as though I took him for granted while he was still here. In fact, I had actually proposed that we take turns seeing each other once a week -- which he initially agreed to, but later admitted he couldn't deliver on. He also turned down several invitations to hang out because of work or familial obligations.

I have yet another friend I am drifting apart from. Since joining a youth group at his church, he seems occupied and less interested in hanging out with me, one of his oldest friends, than ever before. He has also either declined or not been receptive to suggestions we hang out like old times.

So what should be the grand takeaway from this post?

Don't just blame yourself for a friendship going awry. Just like it takes two people to keep a friendship vibrant, it takes two to make it crumble. People change over time, as do their interests and priorities over time. If only you are putting in the effort to keep it alive, you might as well cut your losses and find new friends.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...