10 Holiday Fun Facts
Here are a few fun facts regarding the holiday season in the U.S. that you may not know:
1. Nine in 10 Americans say they celebrate Christmas while 32% view it as more of a cultural holiday than a religious one.
2. USPS will deliver 16 billion holiday letters, packages, and cards.
3. Over 100 million Americans will travel for the holidays this year.
4. 86% of Americans say they buy holiday gifts for family or friends.
5. Americans aim to spend an average of $935.58 each during the holiday shopping season this year.
6. Total holiday sales are expected to be over $655 billion.
7. 85% of Americans say they will probably give someone candy as a gift.
8. Americans eat about 3,000 calories worth of food during a typical holiday dinner.
9. 22 million turkeys are eaten for Christmas.
10. Americans bought nearly 26 million real Christmas trees last year and more than 13 billion fake ones.
The facts I found most surprising were #7 and #8 above. I honestly didn't think candy was that popular a holiday gift, but I suppose it isn't all that astounding when you factor in co-workers. From what I've seen, chocolate is probably the most widely exchanged gift in the workplace.
As for #8, I knew Americans don't shy away from a hearty holiday meal, but 3,000 calories? It's no wonder applications for gym memberships surge in the New Year! I plan to go on a diet as of January 2 in order to shed a couple of pounds I've gained over the last few months.
I also wanted to add that gift cards have to be one of the best ideas ever dreamed up. When you don't know what to buy someone, and you just don't feel like giving them cash, a gift card makes a no-hassle choice -- and there's no wrapping involved!
From my family to yours, I'd like to wish everyone happy holidays and a blessed New Year!