Skip to main content

When is a relationship not worth saving?

Couple walking amid fall foliage

I'm often asked how one can determine whether a relationship is worth salvaging, or if it's time to put it out to pasture once and for all. 

Let's face it: Relationships are hard. Through their ups and downs, their twists and turns, maintaining them takes a great deal of time and energy. 

It's when one or both partners no longer care to invest said time and energy that it may be time to pull the plug. 

Because a relationship cannot be carried on only one person's shoulders, and it certainly cannot maintain itself.

I've found myself grasping to keep ties with a particular person strong only because of our shared history. But once I realized that they didn't value that history as deeply as I did, I asked myself, "What's the point?"

I'm all for doing everything in your power to reinvigorate the relationship before throwing in the towel. But in the process, one must assess whether the other individual is doing their part.

Are they initiating candid conversations with you?

Have they proposed that the two of you attend counseling? 

Are they making an honest effort to improve in the areas where you've expressed dissatisfaction?

Does raising the topic elicit sighs and eyerolls?

How they approach the situation can make a world of difference. People display varying degrees of interest depending on where their priorities lie and how deeply they ultimately covet the relationship. 

Any half-hearted attempts to save a relationship will not bear fruit in the long run. Both individuals have to be all in, all the time. 

Of course, there can be stretches where more of the load tilts in one direction (whether because someone is sick, stressed, or facing other tough circumstances). 

But once the person is able to break out of that rough patch, they need to be intentional about checking in and making sure the other doesn't feel as if they're carrying the weight of the relationship on their shoulders.

Nothing spells "relationship killer" quite like taking a person for granted. Trust is eroded, resentment sets in, and ties ultimately fray. 

When you've known someone a long time and share indelible memories with them, it can be tough to concede that the relationship has run its course. But hanging on when it's obvious the other person isn't as committed has the potential to snowball into despondency. 

Don't do that to yourself. Rather, consider closing the book on this one and allocating your time into forging new relationships or cultivating other existing ones. 

When it's over, it's over. When your gut tells you it's time to move on, heed the call. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...