Skip to main content

Important tip: How to prevent being a victim of theft

Every car I've had has been vandalized. It wasn't until recently that the reason for the break-ins -- and the same one applies on all three occasions -- hit me. I parked the cars in isolated spots.

Up until this last incident, I honestly thought parking away from people made it less likely that my car would become a target for thieves. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that the opposite is true. When fewer people are around, it makes it even harder for robbers to be noticed and thus caught. The opportunistic thieves capitalized on my lapse in judgment and stole valuables ranging from tires and rims to CDs and a radio.

In the most recent case, I parked in an isolate area of a parking garage because only recently had I purchased my car and I wished to do whatever possible to prevent it from being hit or scratched. I realize now that I was being awfully anal, and it came back to bite me. The fact of the matter is that your car can be hit anytime, anywhere -- whether it's parked or moving, close to cars or far from them.

The same considerations are applicable when it comes to buying or renting a home. Never settle on a place that is in too isolated or dark an area. You're better off living in a well-lit neighborhood where people and cars are easy to spot. This deters would-be thieves from breaking into your home. Of course, you'll want to take other precautions to minimize the likelihood of theft, like having a fence and home security system.

What did I ultimately learn from this experience? That sometimes even our logic can be illogical. Stay safe out there, guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...