Skip to main content

Why staying positive benefits YOU

I'll be the first one to admit that sometimes I have a tendency to dwell on the negative. I harp on what could go wrong instead of what could go right. It's this kind of mindset that often leads to failure and disappointment.

But why should we be pessimistic at all? In the grand scheme of things, it does us little good. In fact, negativity is known to induce depression, lack of self esteem, and other negative outcomes.

The best thing you can do is harness that negative energy and turn it into something positive. Go to the gym and enjoy a vigorous workout. Blast the music loudly. Look at pictures of baby animals. Do whatever brings a smile to your face, all while telling yourself "I can do it. I will get through this. I will prevail."

Teddy Roosevelt, the 26th president of the United States, once quipped, "Believe you can and you're halfway there." I think negativity begins to set in once we feel we're no longer in control of our lives. But it doesn't have to be that way.

As cliché as it might sound, what doesn't kill us really does make us stronger. We can achieve anything we set our hearts and minds to, only it takes hard work and dedication, and mental fortitude.

There's no harm in reaching out to someone for help. But at the end of the day, happiness really begins with you. The mind exerts a powerful influence on our behavior. Staying focused on positive things can make the difference between a great day and a pitiful one.

I always remind myself of this when I am going through tough times: There are people out there who have far worse problems. That alone makes me feel better. I assure you that if you do the same, you'll find yourself in a better mood in no time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...