Skip to main content

Do glasses make people look smarter? Find out...

I wear contact lenses roughly 90% of the time. I only wear glasses when I'm watching TV at home, right before going to sleep, or when I'm experiencing an issue with one or both eyes that precludes putting on the lenses, such as an allergic reaction or infection.

I've always wondered whether people regard those who wear glasses as smarter. These days, it seems glasses are becoming a fashion statement more than anything else. I've seen countless athletes and celebrities sporting black-framed glasses in recent years.

Research suggests people instinctively associate higher intelligence with glasses. In fact, studies show throwing a pair on can actually help you succeed in job interviews.

The fact of the matter is that glasses make a person appear bookish. For many people, they might signal that one is nearsighted because they read a lot.

A study presented at the 2012 American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting suggested that myopia (i.e., nearsightedness) was linked with higher levels of education. And the stereotype persists that nearsighted people likely take part in fewer outside activities because they're holed up in their room or office reading feverishly.

So there you have it. Wearing glasses seems to be doubly beneficial these days: It makes you look smart and chic.

How long this trend will last remains to be seen. It's possible glasses may go back to being deemed tacky in a few years. I, for one, think being perceived as smarter just because I'm wearing them is a good thing, so I'll continue to sport my frames gladly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...