Skip to main content

SHOCKING statistic about Americans

I recently read an article stating that 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings. What's worse, 21% of them don't even have a savings account!

Supposedly, Americans have been saving more since the global recession, but the stat above doesn't seem to bear that out.

One of the most discussed topics on this forum is consumer behavior, as my background is in psychology and marketing.

It's imperative that Americans -- and people throughout the world, for that matter -- practice saving responsibly. The best way to save money is by living below one's means.

Spending hundreds of dollars on clothing and food every week doesn't help your pocketbook in any way,  especially if you have the tendency to run up your credit card bills and pay late.

I'm not saying you can't treat yourself to a good meal here and there, but spending -- just like eating amd drinking -- should be done in moderation.

As I tell many of my cash-strapped friends, sometimes the best things in life don't require you to shell out a dime -- taking a leisurely stroll around the park, visiting a museum, staying in with your partner and popping in a DVD.

Unfortunately, we live in a world that revolves around material possessions and consumerism. Advertising is partly to blame for driving people -- especially impressionable teenagers -- to the stores to purchase things they might not need with money they don't have. Still, those ads don't force us to go and spend -- we have the free will to flip the channel or turn the page of the magazine and not pay these advertising appeals any mind.

That over 60% of Americans have less than $1,000 saved up is stunning. I think students should be required to take personal finance courses as early as high school. I think it's partly an education problem whereby people aren't taught early on to save a percentage of their earnings -- say, 40% of each paycheck -- and instead blow all their money on trips, clothes, and so on.

And the fact that 21% of Americans have no savings account to speak of is part of the problem. Students should open a savings account at 18 and putting their cash -- whether it's scholarship money or birthday gifts -- into it right away so that it may begin accruing interest.

Being a responsible consumer paves the way for a more stable life. You'll not only have more money for important life events like weddings and buying a new car, but a flush emergency fund at your disposal should something unexpected crop up.

How diligent are you when it comes to saving money?  How often do you splurge on things you might not need?

Comments

Unknown said…
If our government wouldn't tax the crud out of us, that would help too. We give exorbitant amounts of money taken out for the most stupidest things like welfare for people to sit on their buts and live a more luxurious life than the working class.

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...