Skip to main content

What process do we go through to make a purchase?

Did you know that we, as consumers, typically go through a 4-pronged process once we set out to make a purchase?

Indeed, the Consumer Decision-Making Process consists of the following steps:

1. Need Recognition: A need is identified -- say, to buy something to wear for a job interview -- that the consumer now aims to satisfy.

2. Information Search: Now that the need has been established, the next step is to due my due diligence on what "look" would be appropriate for the firm in question. Obviously, I would have to research the company and see whether it would be more appropriate to wear business attire or something a little less formal. I can do this by either looking online or asking people who have worked there at one point or another. If I'm interviewing with an advertising agency, it's likely they'll be much more accepting of a polo shirt and jeans than a mutual funds firm would.

3. Evaluation of alternatives: Assuming I determined that a business suit would be appropriate, I then have to investigate the different brands I could choose from. As consumers, we not only look at color, design, and other visual elements, For example, I may find that Calvin Klein and Vera Wang suits are not only to my liking aesthetically but also fall within my price range. Consumers are known to consult friends and relatives as far as their product and brand preferences before conducting their own research online or via other channels.

3. Purchase Decision: After a great deal of research, I may decide to go with a Calvin Klein suit. My reasons for settling on that brand may be quite varied. For example, I own a wealth of Calvin Klein products -- from colognes to polo shirts -- and none have ever disappointed me. The only trade-off may be that even though it still falls within my budget, I am foregoing a cheaper Vera Wang suit.

4. Post-Purchase Evaluation: Once the product is in our possession, one of two things can happen (1) We're happy with our purchase and use it gladly whenever the need strikes, or (2) A feeling of buyer's remorse comes over us and prompts us to return the product or buy a different brand. I actually bought a Calvin Klein suit earlier this year and am most satisfied with my buy. However, in the past, I've grown so dissatisfied with certain purchases (e.g. jeans) that I've ultimately ended up returning or exchanging it.

All of us go through these four stages when a need arises to buy a product -- even though we may not be acquainted with the actual framework listed above.

Which sources do you consort before buying a new product?  Do you often get buyer's remorse once the product is yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...