Skip to main content

Do you like being different than everyone else?

Are you different from most of your friends or family members in some way?

Is there anything about you that goes against societal norms or expectations?

I am happy to say that some of my interests and personality traits go against the grain, so to speak. As a result, I sometimes find myself at odds with people when it comes to planning a night out or deciding whether to partake in certain activities.

Why would I be proud of this?

Because they make me who I am, and I am not ashamed of it. There can only be one you in this world, and there's no reason to apologize for having views or interests that don't align with those held by people around you.

Here are some ways in which I am a little different:

  • I am an introvert: While most people find a night of drinking and chatter with countless people to be fun, I'm happy staying home with a good book and blogging away. Too much social interaction depletes my energy reserves; I need time alone in a quiet environment to recharge my batteries. Studies show that roughly 75% of Americans fall under the "extrovert" umbrella.
  • While most sports lovers follow football, I am an avid baseball fan. Baseball is considered by most sports fiends to be the most dull of all the major sports.
  • No matter how much Hollywood and the media try to convince me that stick-figure-looking women are attractive, I beg to differ. I am all for the voluptuous kind. In fact, my wife is a few pounds overweight, as were the 3 or so girlfriends that came before her. More to love!
  • As I noted in an earlier post, I don't drink. It's not as if I haven't tried -- I just loathe the taste of alcohol. I also don't like the ruckus and foolish behavior of people who drink excessively.
  • My motto in life is: Keep it simple. As such, I try my best to keep my life as hassle-free as I can. That's why I opted to buy a condo rather than a house (cheaper and less maintenance involved) and why having kids may not be in the cards for me.
  • I don't waste words: Introspective and unassuming, I think carefully before I speak. I don't like talking just for the sake of it. I realize that most people aren't like this. 
  • A handyman I am not: Who says that men have to like or be capable of fixing stuff? I'd much rather pay someone else to do it and make more time for things I actually like doing, like reading and writing.
In sum, I realize that some of my interests -- and my disdain for doing some things others deem enjoyable  -- put me at odds with many people. That's precisely what I like about myself. I pride myself on being different from the herd. 

Is there something about you that makes you unique from those in your social circle? Has it ever caused you to feel rejected or isolated? 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...