Skip to main content

Why do people like getting drunk and pressuring others to do the same?

My wife and I went to a family get together at her parents' house last night, where one of her brothers and two of her sisters-in-law got completely wasted.

Her family knows full well that neither my wife nor I drink. It's not as if I've never tried. I've tasted a slew of drinks and have found all of them, with exception to the fruity daiquiri, to be almost intolerable. I simply lack the taste buds for alcohol. As for my wife, she likes only a couple of drinks, but for the most part refrains from drinking as well.

As you can expect, this doesn't exactly sit well with them. For years now, they've made every attempt to get us to take a few sips at every gathering. The pressure to drink last night was more palpable than usual, ostensibly in light of the fact that my wife and I are now married and I am "part of the family."

I fret at the pressure society puts on people to conform to what everyone else in the group does. When it comes to drinking, I think this kind of peer pressure stems from a number of variables:

  • People wanting to validate their own decision to get hammered and let loose
  • People trying to reduce the cognitive dissonance they feel when someone is a little different and strays from doing what everyone else likes doing
  • Having a herd mentality: "We all do this together"
We've all seen that this can happen in a range of contexts, including goading people to take drugs, wheedling someone into getting laid so as to finally lose his or her virginity, etc. When one deviates from the accepted and expected behaviors of a group, he can get a lot of flak for it. In the worst cases, the pressure can escalate into all-out bullying. 

One thing I find myself questioning time and time again is: Why do people find the need to get drunk in the first place? What is so alluring about making a fool of yourself, only to have no memory of it all the next day?  

Here are a couple of possible answers I came up with: 
  • To escape reality: Between having a job, kids, and other priorities, life can become stressful -- which drives many of us to reach for the bottle and release our inhibitions. 
  • When you're under the influence, you're not cognizant of how much you're actually drinking.
  • People assume that you can't party to the fullest without getting drunk.
If you find yourself being pressured into doing something you don't want to do, stand firm and politely say "no thanks." After a couple of times, they'll get the hint and back away. Don't let others call the shots in your own life for you. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
The last paragraph in the explanation is the crucial one. "If you find yourself being pressured into doing something you don't want to do, stand firm and politely say, 'no thanks'. After a couple of times, they'll get the hint and back away. Don't let others call the the shots in your own life for you." That paragraph speaks volumes. Be true to yourself at all times, no matter how pressured you may feel.

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...