Skip to main content

Finding the right job is extremely difficult

When you're looking for the right job, you have to take a myriad of factors into account:

  • Do the hours suit you? Is overtime expected?
  • Is the culture to your liking?
  • Does your personality fit the culture and demands of the job?
  • Are you okay with the distance to and from work?
  • Are the salary and benefits sufficient?
  • What is the room for growth like?
  • Do you feel you'd get along well with your supervisor?
  • Does the job require travel? If so, would you be okay with that?
Unfortunately, the answers to most of these questions will likely remain a mystery until you've been working there for a while. It's impossible to decipher what the culture will be like when you've only sat for one or two interviews.

That's why I recommend that people do their research beforehand. Visit sites like glassdoor.com for any reviews that current or former employees may have written about the company. Perhaps you notice that a friend of a friend on Linkedin works at the company, and you can get some information and tips from her. It goes without saying that the internet is an invaluable tool to leverage during the job-hunting process.

I must have sat for over 100 interviews over the last couple of years. As much as I tried to assess during the interview whether the job would be a good fit, I never knew for sure until I had been working there at least a month. I actually wound up resigning from two jobs after realizing that they were poor fits for my personality.

I wanted something structured that kept me at my desk the whole day. The jobs, both at non-profits, required me to be out and about, constantly interfacing with various departments and third parties. 

Unfortunately, I had the arduous task of finding a good job while the country was in the throes of the worst recession since the Great Depression. Sooner or later, I had to settle on something. I ended up finding a job in the hospitality industry, which I've worked in ever since and find to be quite exciting.

I realize that priorities like putting food on the table preclude us from having the time and flexibility to pick and choose which jobs we want. But if you ever sense that what you're about to get into would be a horrible fit -- whether because of the hours, pay, or culture -- you might be better holding off until something better comes your way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...