Skip to main content

We don't "click" with everyone

People say it isn't always easy to forge new friendships or relationships, and with good reason.

The fact is that we don't click with everyone. And even if we do click with someone in the early stages of a relationship, that may not be the case five or even ten years down the line.

So why don't we click with everyone?

  • Different personalities: When people have different temperaments, it opens the door to bickering. The person with the stronger personality tends to overpower the more docile one, leading to feelings of resentment in the latter. Though many people believe that friends with completely different temperaments can balance each other out, studies have disproven such a notion.
  • Different interests: While most people's idea of a fun night is hitting a bar or club with a group of 10, I'd be happy sitting at home watching Netflix or going to a restaurant for a quiet dinner. Unfortunately, the less gregarious types may feel pressured into socializing more than they'd care to in order to "fit in." Once this becomes routine, it's a surefire sign that the friendship is not going to work out.
  • Different values and beliefs: We all come in different stripes. Some of us are Jehova's Witnesses. Some of us are virgins. Some are Democrats, others Republicans. We all hold different views and may not wish to compromise them. If we find ourselves in a relationship where we're being coaxed into changing what we stand for, we're likely to become defensive and cut the other person loose.
Any others you recommend I add to the list? Comment below!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...