Skip to main content

Relationship with Money: Why we're obsessed with brands

Have you noticed how hung up some people have become with brands?

They seem to have an unrelenting hankering for only the top brands -- from Micheal Kors to Coach.

Do people not realize that a brand is merely a logo with some words on it?

Sure, the material may be more durable or whatever, but you can still find much more affordable alternatives without having to feel like you're skimping on quality.

This goes to show you the powerful influence that advertisements exert on most of us. At the end of the day, a Honda Civic gets you from A to B like a Mercedes Benz does. And once the novelty of the more expensive purchase wears off, you may be left with buyer's remorse (or what we in the psychology field like to call "cognitive dissonance").

For some consumers, buying a premium brand elevates their feelings of self-worth, if temporarily. I think relying on material possessions to make you happy is detrimental in the long run. Products will always depreciate, and you'll always want the next best thing. I see this phenomenon at play with the recently-launched iPhone 6.

People also let their friends and relatives guide their purchase decisions. They think: If they can have it, why can't I?

It's appalling how materialistic a society we've become. What happened to sitting back and enjoying the simple things in life: reading, writing, taking a walk and communing with nature?

As someone who graduated with a bachelor's in marketing and a minor in psychology, I can say with certainty that I am more impervious to advertisements, which assail us everywhere we go, than my friends and relatives.

When you feel the urge to fork over thousands of dollars on something you really don't need, stop and remind yourself that the money could go toward more noble causes, like helping the poor.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women vs. Men: Who likes to backstab more?

Whether it's on TV or in the workplace, the general consensus seems to be that women gossip, backstab, and stir up more conflict than men do. But, as with every other topic, I thought it only fair to put this so-called stereotype under the microscope. If you watch reality shows like Celebrity Apprentice, you'll notice it's the women who spend far more time bickering. While the men do at times become embroiled in tit for tat, it's the women who are portrayed as meaner and more hostile. In the workplace, I have noticed that women seem to gossip far more than their male counterparts. I haven't really seen any cases where a person blatantly backstabs the other, but I have caught both men and women in little white lies. If it is true that women are generally more into backstabbing and gossiping than men, why is this the case? I believe that it isn't fair to make a blanket statement like "all women play these games while all men keep to themselves and pre...

Do you have Isolophilia? Find out...

You're probably asking yourself, "What in the world does Isolophilia mean?" It sounds like it would be something negative, doesn't it?  After all, words that end in "philia" (e.g., pedophilia) tend to involve things we want nothing to do with. But Isolophilia isn't something all people deplore. In fact, introverts like me welcome it. Put simply, Isolophilia is defined as having a strong affinity for solitude. It describes a person who relishes being alone. While extroverts can only take so much solitude, we introverts find that it rejuvenates us. In order to recharge our batteries, we need to retreat to a quiet environment where we we're left alone to rest and/or gather our thoughts. Extroverts, on the other hand, become bored and drained when they're alone for a lengthy period of time. Social interaction is the fuel that drives them. So while an extrovert would probably do anything to avoid feelings of Isolophilia in most cases, an...

Men prefer to marry brunettes

Study after study shows that men prefer blondes as girlfriends or mistresses and brunettes as wives . It seems many men see brunettes as more trustworthy and loyal. What's more, even though participants claimed that blondes are better in bed, they feel brunettes are better kissers and more affectionate than blondes. I find these results to be rather interesting. In my high school and early college days, I actually had a preference for blondes myself -- that is, until I hooked up with my now-wife. From that point on, I deemed brunettes as more attractive and marriage material, probably because they reminded me of and more closely resembled her. I think we can blame Hollywood, shows like Baywatch, and Playboy for painting blondes as wild, big chested, promiscuous and loose. (Yes, I know that there are brunettes in Playboy, but they seem to be in the minority.) When someone tells a man to think of an attractive blonde, who do you think likely crosses his mind? More likely than...