Skip to main content

Is indifference the worst kind of punishment?

I've talked to some of my readers on this blog about a situation involving my closest friend. Long story short, he did something that really ticked me off -- mind you, this is the second time he's done it -- and now I intend to inflict what I consider to be the worst kind of punishment: indifference.

The reason why I think indifference is the cruelest type of punishment is because it basically communicates that you couldn't care less about the person anymore. What he or she does or says no longer matters to you -- you are perfectly fine shutting the individual out of your life for good. This may not be the case at all;  you might still care deeply about the person. But at the end of the day, life is really more about what you perceive to be true than what may in fact be true.

Many people imagine that getting riled up and lashing out at the person is the worst thing you can do, but I don't find this to be the case. Why? Because when you're angry, you're demonstrating that the person still holds the power to tug at your emotions. You still care enough -- you remain emotionally invested -- to get upset over something the person does or tells you.

The saying "you want what you can't have" certainly holds water in the realm of friendships and relationships. In retrospect, the girls I pined for the most growing up were the ones who showed virtually no interest in me. And I usually felt more drawn to someone or interested in getting his or her attention when I sensed the person was ignoring me.

It can be pretty disconcerting when we sense someone is being apathetic toward us. It throws us off and prompts us to investigate why the person is behaving in this manner.

My friend's behavior was uncalled for, and that's why I feel he deserves what he has coming. After being on the receiving end of two of his meltdowns, I have to do something to teach him a lesson -- something that will motivate him to think twice before opening his mouth.

I don't know what's left of this friendship, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Have you ever been indifferent toward anyone?  If yes, did the strategy work well for you? In other words, did the person change for the better?

Comments

Unknown said…
I have done this, not by design just emotionally shut the person out of my life because I refused to tolerate their behavior any more...it takes me a long time and many conversations before I call it quits, but when I'm done, I'm done .. this person holding a special place in my life and experiencing how tolerant I am didn't expect such severe repercussions .. it was over a year before I saw or spoke to this person, but the new relationship is better than ever ..
Thanks for sharing, Deb. If the person cares at least a little, I think the shift can certainly have an effect, especially if it goes against one's usually-docile nature.
Lynn said…
Yes. That's how things are with my dad and I. All he's ever done is hurt me. And ignore me. He tends to have the maturity level of a 3 year old! He and I don't click. So I no longer talk to him. He calls me up and says "Why do you no longer ever call me?" I can't explain to him why. I don't want to make him upset. But how he's always been won't ever change. It'll always be a thorn in my side. So as hard as it seems I've just decided that I'm worth more than to allow him to disrespect me. So I've just given up on him. I don't need him to constantly give me grief. Just because he's my dad doesn't mean I should have to feel guilty for not hanging onto him. So as hard as that sounds I just don't talk to my dad. He will always be my dad but he'll never be worth getting upset over, either.
Lynn said…
Yes. That's how things are with my dad and I. All he's ever done is hurt me. And ignore me. He tends to have the maturity level of a 3 year old! He and I don't click. So I no longer talk to him. He calls me up and says "Why do you no longer ever call me?" I can't explain to him why. I don't want to make him upset. But how he's always been won't ever change. It'll always be a thorn in my side. So as hard as it seems I've just decided that I'm worth more than to allow him to disrespect me. So I've just given up on him. I don't need him to constantly give me grief. Just because he's my dad doesn't mean I should have to feel guilty for not hanging onto him. So as hard as that sounds I just don't talk to my dad. He will always be my dad but he'll never be worth getting upset over, either.
Thanks for your comment, Lynn. No father should treat his daughter that way. I commend you for at least trying to remedy the situation. Kudos to you for standing up for yourself. I could understand not wanting to talk to him if all he does is give you grief. Have you tried to have someone else intervene (your mom, a friend, therapist, etc.?)

Popular posts from this blog

This will spell the end of your relationship

When asked to think about the most common culprits for a relationship's going south, most people will point to cheating, complacency, and taking one's partner for granted. While these are all valid -- and documented in various posts on this blog -- there are certain habits on the part of partners that may not kill the relationship right away, but cause it to erode more gradually.  Among the most egregious of these is expecting your significant other to be perfect. They pick at your follies any chance they get. Nothing you do is ever good enough. In fact, you will never measure up to an ex, neighbor, or accomplished co-worker.  Perhaps this all sounds a bit familiar.  When you feel as though you're constantly being put under the microscope, it can inflict lasting damage on the relationship and your self-esteem. You're walking on eggshells all the time, praying you don't say or do something that's going to trigger your partner. This is no way to live, let alone ca

No response from someone IS a response

Make no mistake about it: When you don't get a response from someone -- whether they fail to answer your texts or return your phone calls -- it is  still a response, and a powerful one at that. When a person fails to respond, it's a direct reflection of their interest -- or lack thereof -- in the relationship. Few things are more aggravating than having to hound a partner, friend, or relative for some sort of reply after we've reached out to them. Yes, we get busy from time to time, but that doesn't give anyone the right to leave the other person hanging. A terse text with something like "Been busy, will reach out soon" doesn't say much, but at least it shows some effort to bring the other person up to speed on why they've fallen off the radar. Failing to provide a response for weeks -- if not months -- communicates that you are just not a priority, and that you'll have to wait your turn to get this individual's attention. This is n

Misconceptions about quiet people

Earlier today, I came across a Facebook page that features motivational quotes intended to improve people's moods and enhance their overall self-esteem. Interestingly, I noticed two quotes that focus specifically on quiet people: "Be afraid of quiet people; they're the ones who actually think." "The quietest people have the loudest minds." I've observed that most people's views of quiet individuals can fall under one of two categories: 1. The ones who say quiet people are antisocial, suspicious, snobbish, and/or full of themselves. 2. The people who say their introspective nature and propensity to be deep in thought makes them smarter than their more garrulous peers. The quotes above speak to this mindset. As an introvert known to be quiet at work and at social functions where I might not know anyone, I feel I'm well positioned to dispel any inaccuracies surrounding quiet folks. First of all, the above statements misguidedly put