The statistics below, however, might cause these people to reassess whether being a man is really all it's cracked up to be:
- Nine out of 10 prison inmates are men
- Among the homeless, men outnumber women by at least three to one
- Men are 10 times more likely to commit murder than women are
- Men are 10 times more likely to show up at the low end of distributions of IQ scores
- Men are more likely to be mentally retarded than women
- Men are more likely to abuse and abandon their kids
- Men are less likely than women to take care of aging/ill parents
- Men outscore women on measures of closed-mindedness, cruelty, narcissism, hostility, and self-indulgence
- Men pay more than women for car insurance
- Men die earlier than women (about five years earlier on average)
I think the above statistics suggest that men are far more aggressive, violent, and destructive than women. Very rarely do you see any news reports of women robbing grocery stories or holding up banks at gunpoint.
So, while men may not face gender discrimination or be subject to the physical pangs of childbirth, they're far more predisposed than women to get in trouble with the law and end up dead.
Luckily, not all men are dangerous and impulsive; I'm living proof of that. Everyone who knows me will say that I'm a friendly, laid-back, studious kind of guy. I've never hit a woman, ran a red light, or smoked a cigarette, or gotten drunk. I like to have fun, but I can do so without ever having to engage in reckless behavior.
I am happy to be a man, but that doesn't mean I neglect all the amazing contributions that women make to society. In fact, I think it's a travesty that women are still lagging behind men when it comes to pay for the same jobs.
Do you feel that men really do have it better in this world? Ladies, do you feel it'd be easier to live as a man?
Please comment and reshare. Then check out these other popular How to Understand People posts: