Skip to main content

Two CRITICAL mistakes that job seekers make

Despite an improved economy, job seekers are still finding it difficult to land jobs, but little do they know that they might be sabotaging themselves by failing to do two things:

1. Tailoring their resume and cover letter to every job listing they respond to: Sending out the same generic resume and cover letter for every job application is a recipe for disaster. You have to be sure that many of the keywords contained in the ad are listed on your resume -- after all, some of these companies screen the resumes for these very keywords, and if the document lacks too many of them, it'll likely be tossed in the trash bin. Different jobs call for different skill sets; while some employers may want experience in budget forecasting, others may desire candidates with experience in sales. Obviously, you want to do this without stretching the truth too much. For example, I don't recommend stating that you're an expert at Photoshop if you've never even used the program. You don't want your resume riddled with blatant falsehoods that could come back to bite you later. I know that tailoring the resume to every job ad sounds like a lot of work, but in the end, it's well worth it. I managed to have great success in my job hunt with this approach. 

2. Writing thank you letters: Not writing a thank you letter following an interview is no longer an option in this intensely competitive job market. If two candidates are neck and neck as far as experience and qualifications, it's little extras like thank you letters that often break the tie. As with your resume and cover letter, it is imperative that you proofread your thank you letter for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and accuracy. When recruiters are being assailed with so many applications, they're looking for any little excuse to disqualify you. A careless typo won't go undetected -- you can be sure of that. A thank you letter not only gives you the opportunity to reiterate your qualifications and experience, but it lets you reinforce how hungry you truly are for the job. I'm certain I would not have received as many job offers as I did over the years without a powerful thank you letter to help me make the case for why I was the right candidate for the position.

Have you made any of these mistakes? How helpful have you found the above strategies to be? 

For more insightful posts, please click here: How to Understand People

Comments

Sabrinna said…
Hi. I'm employed but also seeking work because there is no position available above mine currently open and ot looks like it won't change anytime soon. The thank-you letter is something I do as part of my interview confirmation email. I usually sau something to the effect of, 'I am so excited by this opportunity and look forward to our interview on (insert date and time here).' I'm unsure of how to seamlessly reiterate my strong suit and why I am the candidate to hire. I would very much appreciate more information if you ever revisit this topic.
Sabrinna said…
Hi. I'm employed but also seeking work because there is no position available above mine currently open and ot looks like it won't change anytime soon. The thank-you letter is something I do as part of my interview confirmation email. I usually sau something to the effect of, 'I am so excited by this opportunity and look forward to our interview on (insert date and time here).' I'm unsure of how to seamlessly reiterate my strong suit and why I am the candidate to hire. I would very much appreciate more information if you ever revisit this topic.
Hi Sabrinna. I understand what you're going through because I'm in the same boat! I have a good job, but have hit a dead end in my current position. Not sure why you would say you look forward to an interview in a thank you letter, unless a follow-up interview were already scheduled. Did you mean cover letter? As for reiterating your qualifications, it's important to stress whatever skills the job listing seems to focus on the most. If they're big on analytical or communication skills, be sure to touch on those while also highlighting how you used them in your current/prior role(s).

Popular posts from this blog

This will spell the end of your relationship

When asked to think about the most common culprits for a relationship's going south, most people will point to cheating, complacency, and taking one's partner for granted. While these are all valid -- and documented in various posts on this blog -- there are certain habits on the part of partners that may not kill the relationship right away, but cause it to erode more gradually.  Among the most egregious of these is expecting your significant other to be perfect. They pick at your follies any chance they get. Nothing you do is ever good enough. In fact, you will never measure up to an ex, neighbor, or accomplished co-worker.  Perhaps this all sounds a bit familiar.  When you feel as though you're constantly being put under the microscope, it can inflict lasting damage on the relationship and your self-esteem. You're walking on eggshells all the time, praying you don't say or do something that's going to trigger your partner. This is no way to live, let alone ca

No response from someone IS a response

Make no mistake about it: When you don't get a response from someone -- whether they fail to answer your texts or return your phone calls -- it is  still a response, and a powerful one at that. When a person fails to respond, it's a direct reflection of their interest -- or lack thereof -- in the relationship. Few things are more aggravating than having to hound a partner, friend, or relative for some sort of reply after we've reached out to them. Yes, we get busy from time to time, but that doesn't give anyone the right to leave the other person hanging. A terse text with something like "Been busy, will reach out soon" doesn't say much, but at least it shows some effort to bring the other person up to speed on why they've fallen off the radar. Failing to provide a response for weeks -- if not months -- communicates that you are just not a priority, and that you'll have to wait your turn to get this individual's attention. This is n

Misconceptions about quiet people

Earlier today, I came across a Facebook page that features motivational quotes intended to improve people's moods and enhance their overall self-esteem. Interestingly, I noticed two quotes that focus specifically on quiet people: "Be afraid of quiet people; they're the ones who actually think." "The quietest people have the loudest minds." I've observed that most people's views of quiet individuals can fall under one of two categories: 1. The ones who say quiet people are antisocial, suspicious, snobbish, and/or full of themselves. 2. The people who say their introspective nature and propensity to be deep in thought makes them smarter than their more garrulous peers. The quotes above speak to this mindset. As an introvert known to be quiet at work and at social functions where I might not know anyone, I feel I'm well positioned to dispel any inaccuracies surrounding quiet folks. First of all, the above statements misguidedly put