Skip to main content

The power of choice in your life

Is having too many choices good or bad?

Some might say it's a good thing, as it allows you to pick what best suits your needs.

Others contend it can be a bad thing in that it causes you to second guess your decisions, especially if the alternatives are fairly comparable.

We face this type of conundrum on an almost-daily basis. Which job offer should I accept? Which computer should I buy? Which of these two guys should I become exclusive with?

About a month or two before graduating from college, I was hitting the pavement hard in hopes of landing a full-time job. (Mind you, this wasn't long before the global recession began.)

I went on a flurry of interviews and was offered nearly every position I applied for. I turned down the first two because I thought the salary being offered was a tad low. Besides, I didn't want to run after the first opportunity that came my way; I wished to take a little more time testing the job market waters.

Unfortunately, the position I wound up taking at a young start-up lasted a measly four months thanks to company-wide layoffs prompted by the recession. I spent the next couple of months kicking myself for not having accepted one of the earlier job offers. "If only I had accepted the offer from XYZ Company," I lamented, "I wouldn't be in this mess."

Later I realized that coming down so hard on myself was neither fair nor healthy. I made the decision I thought was right at the time. I could never have foreseen that I'd be handed a pink slip in a matter of months. (It's not as if I was provided with company financials beforehand that may have informed my decision not to accept the job.)

A similar scenario plays out in the realm of relationships for many of us. We have a choice of suitors and end up picking the person that, in hindsight, we should not have gone with.

That's called living and learning. Even if we make our choices very carefully, we can never know for sure whether they're the right ones until we've given them a shot, e.g., we've been on the job or with the person for a while.

Thus, it's no surprise that some would rather have fewer choices available to them. The fewer the alternatives, the less likely they are to experience buyer's remorse.

For example, many shoppers become overwhelmed at the sheer variety of brands/products on display at grocery stores, especially when cost, functionality, and other attributes are just about identical. Yet, competition in the marketplace is a good thing; it ensures that one company does not monopolize the market and have free rein to charge astronomical prices.

Bottom line: Having several choices is good -- to a certain degree. A person can have a wealth of options and still make a bad decision. The way to minimize the likelihood of a bad choice is by evaluating those alternatives carefully. But it's really experience, more than anything else, that guides us toward optimal decisions in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This will spell the end of your relationship

When asked to think about the most common culprits for a relationship's going south, most people will point to cheating, complacency, and taking one's partner for granted. While these are all valid -- and documented in various posts on this blog -- there are certain habits on the part of partners that may not kill the relationship right away, but cause it to erode more gradually.  Among the most egregious of these is expecting your significant other to be perfect. They pick at your follies any chance they get. Nothing you do is ever good enough. In fact, you will never measure up to an ex, neighbor, or accomplished co-worker.  Perhaps this all sounds a bit familiar.  When you feel as though you're constantly being put under the microscope, it can inflict lasting damage on the relationship and your self-esteem. You're walking on eggshells all the time, praying you don't say or do something that's going to trigger your partner. This is no way to live, let alone ca

No response from someone IS a response

Make no mistake about it: When you don't get a response from someone -- whether they fail to answer your texts or return your phone calls -- it is  still a response, and a powerful one at that. When a person fails to respond, it's a direct reflection of their interest -- or lack thereof -- in the relationship. Few things are more aggravating than having to hound a partner, friend, or relative for some sort of reply after we've reached out to them. Yes, we get busy from time to time, but that doesn't give anyone the right to leave the other person hanging. A terse text with something like "Been busy, will reach out soon" doesn't say much, but at least it shows some effort to bring the other person up to speed on why they've fallen off the radar. Failing to provide a response for weeks -- if not months -- communicates that you are just not a priority, and that you'll have to wait your turn to get this individual's attention. This is n

Misconceptions about quiet people

Earlier today, I came across a Facebook page that features motivational quotes intended to improve people's moods and enhance their overall self-esteem. Interestingly, I noticed two quotes that focus specifically on quiet people: "Be afraid of quiet people; they're the ones who actually think." "The quietest people have the loudest minds." I've observed that most people's views of quiet individuals can fall under one of two categories: 1. The ones who say quiet people are antisocial, suspicious, snobbish, and/or full of themselves. 2. The people who say their introspective nature and propensity to be deep in thought makes them smarter than their more garrulous peers. The quotes above speak to this mindset. As an introvert known to be quiet at work and at social functions where I might not know anyone, I feel I'm well positioned to dispel any inaccuracies surrounding quiet folks. First of all, the above statements misguidedly put