Skip to main content

Your career will SUFFER if you do this...

Many of my coworkers have been working at my company -- and in the same department, no less -- for 20 or more years!  It's doubtless a rarity in this day and age of frequent job hopping. 

Most of them lament staying there so long. Promotions have been hard to come by, not to mention they feel utterly stagnant in their jobs. Some tell me they can't remember the last time they actually learned something new. It certainly doesn't help that our department is run by two overbearing women -- my boss is one of them -- who are completely stuck in their ways. 

Now in their 50s and 60s, they concede that it's too late to think about moving. They're more focused on retirement now than anything else. Competing for jobs with people as old as their kids, they say, is a losing proposition. 

When asked why they stayed there so long, they admit that they became complacent over the years. I can attest to the fact that the company provides employees with a handsome salary and benefits package. As for why they didn't try angling for opportunities in other departments, they say they became a close-knit group and didn't want to relinquish the relationships they forged with one another. 

I've worked there (in the same department) for almost five years now, and if there's something I'm absolutely sure about, it's that I don't want to end up like these coworkers. I'm already feeling stultified in my job -- there just isn't much else to learn, and I can literally do my work blindfolded. As with most corporations, the bosses take ownership of the big projects and leave their subordinates to do menial work. My job offers no flexibility to be creative, and I'm dragged down by endless red tape. Alas, my skills aren't being utilized to their full potential. 

My boss stands to retire in the next two years, but I don't think I'm willing to wait that long. I'm already keeping an eye out for opportunities within my company and elsewhere.

It is important that we never stop pursuing opportunities for career growth and advancement. It's easy to get comfortable in a job, especially if it pays well and we get along with our coworkers. But there's a lot to be said for feeling intellectually stimulated and challenged on the job. My current position has me looking at my watch far too often; I take it as a telltale sign that it's time to take the next step in my career.

If asking your boss for bigger projects or a promotion doesn't work, and if there are no other openings available in your company, it might be time to bid your present employer adieu. 

Life's too short to remain in a job you're unhappy with, whether it's the pay, workplace culture, or the work itself that just isn't cutting it. Your career will suffer if you stay in a dead end job. Go for what your heart truly desires. Follow your passions. Don't feel as though you have to be loyal to any one employer, either. They don't twitch when they have to lay people off, so why should you have any reservations about jumping ship?

Don't miss out on any earlier posts!  Click here to check them out now: How to Understand People

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This will spell the end of your relationship

When asked to think about the most common culprits for a relationship's going south, most people will point to cheating, complacency, and taking one's partner for granted. While these are all valid -- and documented in various posts on this blog -- there are certain habits on the part of partners that may not kill the relationship right away, but cause it to erode more gradually.  Among the most egregious of these is expecting your significant other to be perfect. They pick at your follies any chance they get. Nothing you do is ever good enough. In fact, you will never measure up to an ex, neighbor, or accomplished co-worker.  Perhaps this all sounds a bit familiar.  When you feel as though you're constantly being put under the microscope, it can inflict lasting damage on the relationship and your self-esteem. You're walking on eggshells all the time, praying you don't say or do something that's going to trigger your partner. This is no way to live, let alone ca

No response from someone IS a response

Make no mistake about it: When you don't get a response from someone -- whether they fail to answer your texts or return your phone calls -- it is  still a response, and a powerful one at that. When a person fails to respond, it's a direct reflection of their interest -- or lack thereof -- in the relationship. Few things are more aggravating than having to hound a partner, friend, or relative for some sort of reply after we've reached out to them. Yes, we get busy from time to time, but that doesn't give anyone the right to leave the other person hanging. A terse text with something like "Been busy, will reach out soon" doesn't say much, but at least it shows some effort to bring the other person up to speed on why they've fallen off the radar. Failing to provide a response for weeks -- if not months -- communicates that you are just not a priority, and that you'll have to wait your turn to get this individual's attention. This is n

Misconceptions about quiet people

Earlier today, I came across a Facebook page that features motivational quotes intended to improve people's moods and enhance their overall self-esteem. Interestingly, I noticed two quotes that focus specifically on quiet people: "Be afraid of quiet people; they're the ones who actually think." "The quietest people have the loudest minds." I've observed that most people's views of quiet individuals can fall under one of two categories: 1. The ones who say quiet people are antisocial, suspicious, snobbish, and/or full of themselves. 2. The people who say their introspective nature and propensity to be deep in thought makes them smarter than their more garrulous peers. The quotes above speak to this mindset. As an introvert known to be quiet at work and at social functions where I might not know anyone, I feel I'm well positioned to dispel any inaccuracies surrounding quiet folks. First of all, the above statements misguidedly put