Here are a few fun facts that put this in perspective:
- Tequila sales typically double in bars and restaurants on Cinco de Mayo, making it one of their most profitable days of the year.
- In 2014, Americans bought over 12 million cases of tequila. That's a lot of booze!
- Margaritas accounted for nearly half of all cocktails sold on Cinco de Mayo in 2011 and 2012.
- Consumers spend over $2.9 billion on margaritas annually, which accounts for roughly 14 percent of all cocktail sales!
- 30 percent of the margaritas sold are flavored.
- The United States sells twice as much tequila as Mexico, the country where it originated.
On another note, more than 81 million avocados are consumed by Americans on Cinco de Mayo, which are used in guacamole. Tortillas are also widely consumed in the U.S. on this day each year.
Do you drink on Cinco de Mayo?