Do you agree with THIS quote?

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), the third President of the United States and author of the Declaration of Independence, once said the following:

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock."

I concur with the second part of Jefferson's quote. We should never compromise our bedrock principles for anyone. We should become impervious to social pressure to do anything that runs contrary to our core beliefs and values.

If you ever feel pressured into abandoning any such attitudes, that's when you know those individuals deserve no place in your life. Kick them to the curb! A person who genuinely values you won't try to cajole you into changing anything about yourself.

But I disagree with him on the first part.

Why should we swim with the current in matters of style?

Your style may differ from mine. You may project the image of someone sporty while I may convey a more preppy, academic look. You may thrive on doing things at the very last minute, while I may prefer getting things done quickly.

My style is no better than yours, and vice-versa. It's just different, and that's fine.

Just because something -- say, wearing green-colored glasses -- becomes the latest fad doesn't mean I'm going to mindlessly follow the herd.

I'm a firm believer in maintaining one's individuality -- in embracing one's uniqueness. If swimming against the current puts me at odds with others, so be it. I won't change who I am for anyone. I plan to remain the introverted, party-avoiding bookworm I've always been.

Everyone deserves to have the opportunity to let their real self shine through. And that includes you.

You're a wonderful person just the way you are. Whether you want to be geeky, buff, sexy, or just plain silly, let the genuine you be in evidence.

Do you agree with Jefferson? Why or why not?

No comments: