The ultimate aphrodisiac is...

"Aphrodisiac" can be defined in one of two ways:

1. A food, drug, or drink that stimulates sexual desire -- many people consider chocolate and/or oysters to be theirs

2. Simply, a thing that causes excitement

For the purposes of this post, I'll focus on the second one.

I consider intelligence to be the ultimate aphrodisiac. Nothing draws me to someone quite like brains. When I was single, I always thought of smarts as the one prerequisite in a partner that I staunchly refused to negotiate on.

Henry Ford once said, "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Essentially, what Ford is saying is that intelligence is a rare gem, and that once you find someone who has it, hold on to them for dear life.

Intelligence goes beyond being able to compute numbers in your head or knowing the meaning of even the most obscure words.

It makes not-so-physically-attractive people more attractive. It shows that the person enjoys exercising their mind and putting those brain cells to work.

Going back to Ford's quote, most people try to do as little thinking these days as they can. They're "cognitive misers," as my social psychology professor once said.

That's why, as technology continues to expand and do more things for us, it's becoming increasingly rare to find people who enjoy exploring and talking about deep, substantive topics. Instead, it's more common to find people -- whether at work or the mall -- engaging in mindless chit-chat.

As I've noted in prior posts, I believe reality television, Hollywood, and the media are to blame for the growing anti-intellectualism we see in society. It's all about churning out whatever brings in the most money and highest ratings -- like Kardashian drama and political sex scandals.

Being brainy is not the "in" thing right now, but maybe someday it will be. Until then, I'll continue to relish every conversation I can have with bright individuals from whom I can learn.

What's your ultimate aphrodisiac? Are you intellectually curious, and are you drawn to people like that?

No comments: