Sunday Poll: Sex with only 1 person your whole life?

Happy Sunday, readers! Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Here's a question I'd like to ask of you:

If you had the opportunity to meet someone at an early age whom you knew you'd be with for the rest of your life (assume that a crystal ball told you who it'd be), would you take it?

In other words, this individual would be your first and only kiss, date, and partner in bed.

Call me crazy, but I don't think everyone would be quick to jump at the chance. 

Sure, there are those who crave nothing more than a love life that sounds like it came straight out of a romance novel.

But there are others who would prefer to experience a little more variety as they get older--and it isn't just horny, relationship-averse college students. Some of us want to sleep with more than one person in our lives so we can know with certainty what makes for a good night of sex. In addition, certain people feel they can't appreciate their partner as much unless they've been with someone in the past who's wronged them in more ways than one. In other words, this line of logic suggests that having multiple relationships helps us grow.

I'm happy to say that I married the woman I lost my virginity to. (And she lost hers to me.) She wasn't my first kiss or date, but the first person I ever had a real, substantive relationship with; indeed, the rest were just flings.

Yes, there are times I wonder what it would have been like to be intimate with other women prior to marriage. I think it's perfectly normal for us to have those "what if" moments when we ruminate over paths we opted not to take. Does that mean I would go back in time just to get a few sessions in the sack with other girls? Absolutely not!

Over the long run, the vast majority of people look to settle with one person, and the number of sexual partners they had becomes little more than a footnote in the book of life.

Would you have sex with only one person if you knew that relationship would last your entire life?

Please share this post and check out prior entries here: How to Understand People

No comments: